Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Learned From Chapter 6

From this chapter, I learned about compound claims. At first, I did not think it was something interesting but then I realized that I use them almost every day. A compound claim is composed of other claims but has to be viewed as just one claim (Epstein 113). For example, a compound claim that I find myself using all the time is "I'll pay for the next lunch or just stop by and I'll hook it up with drinks." Obviously, I am not committing to paying my friend back nor am I promising to give out free drinks. I also learned that to make compound claims, the word "or" can link them together.

Another concept I learned about are contradictory claims or negations. The text states that the contradictory has the opposite truth-value in all possible circumstances. An example of a claim could be "Harry plays basketball" while its negation would be "Harry does not play basketball." 

No comments:

Post a Comment