Friday, September 10, 2010

What I Found Interesting...

Well, maybe it's not that interesting but something that caught my attention from the Group Communication text was the concept of laissez-faire leadership. The reason why it caught my attention was because I remember reading about it in high school in my U.S. and world history classes and I took three years of French so I know what it means and what it entails. The term means "let do" and this type of leadership was implemented in different parts of the world. Basically, it was a "leadership" that involved very little or no direct leadership. Unfortunately, the laissez-faire leadership has been found to be less satisfying and less effective. Obviously, it's because if the "leader" actually lives up to what the name means, then there is no way to solve problems among otheres. Therefore, the citizens had the right to do what they wished without being judged or dictated, even if their actions are wrong. I didn't think that the course would touch upon terms that I learned from other classes, especially ones from high school.

3 comments:

  1. NDSJ91,
    Thank you so much for posting this blog! When I was flipping through the text, this section caught my eye but I felt like I did not know it as well as I needed to in order to explain it for my post. Your explanation really helped make it clear to me what the concept of laiseez-faire leadership really is. I really enjoyed how you broke down the term because I personally did not take French (I took Spanish in high school) and didn’t know the English translation of the word. You gave the definition in simple words making it clear for anyone to understand this concept well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I want to compliment you on the explanation you have for the term. It makes it very clear and easy to understand what the term mean. When I read this section in the text, I cannot see why anyone will think that this kind of leadership is to consider being a leadership at all. However, after I read your post I can see why people might agree with it at first. In theory it does sound like a good idea. People can do what they think is right. It does sound like a fair theory at first. Unfortunately, people did not think what are the consequences of having no rules will be like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read your post here on Laissez Faire. I was also unclear about the term. Thank you for helping us clear up the confusion on that. I also like what you said about using a term you used in high school to relate to your college terms. If you can do relate the two that usually means you did a good job paying attention in high school. lol. Laissez Faire seems to me actually can work though in a government setting. America was pretty much a lassiez faire economy until 100 years ago and it worked fairly well, by setting the groundwork for the United States economy.

    ReplyDelete