Monday, December 6, 2010

What I have learned...

From this class, I learned that online classes aren't so easy, haha. I assumed that all I needed to do was read and answer discussion questions with ease. But it was actually more difficult than I thought because it required thinking critically. In other words, you can't accept things the way they look or seem; you actually have to dig deeper and analyze people, places, events, etc. Besides learning not to anticipate that an online class would be easy to take, I have also learned about many concepts that are part of every day life, especially mine. For example, the concept of violating the principle of rational discussion helped me to familiarize myself with the defense mechanisms I use when I argue. To be more specific, I often use the Strawman defense; I put words in people's mouths to make it seem like they're saying something more worse than they really are. Something that also stayed with me throughout this class was the idea that our personal experiences are our best forms of knowledge; we can't always depend on what we're told or taught to believe in is right or accepted.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you! Most people would assume, myself included, that by taking an online class it would be a breeze. When I found out that this course was all online work, and no meetups for class, I assumed that we would barely do any work, and that we would rarely even read or even use the book. I was wrong, we actually had to read the book and have an understanding of the concepts so that we could complete the discussions on our blog posts each week. Taking this class definitely taught me to be more responsible, because I constantly had to check online for my assignments or check my email to stay updated on what was going on.

    ReplyDelete