Friday, November 19, 2010

Interesting About Cause and Effect

What I found interesting about the chapter is that if a cause is true, then the effect cannot be false. To break it down more into detail, the example used from the text is "Spot's barking caused Dick to wake up." What's already established is that Spot's barking woke Dick up (true) so Dick's waking up because of Spot's barking cannot be false. What is already understood is that Spot's barking is the main cause of waking the person up so there is no other obvious reason for Dick to wake up. Causal claims are made almost every day by everyone. An example from the text is "Smoking causes cancer." I know I make these kind of claims on a daily basis, though I'm not always aware of doing so. Things that I say that are causal claims are "I didn't get any sleep, so I'm tired." As usual, examples from the text are what I unconsciously use every day.

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a good job on explaining the cause and effect concept. I also found it interesting that if a cause if true then the effect cannot be false. Which sounds weird because it seem like there could be other reasons it may be false. But it does make sense. It follows in the form B happened because A happened. I like that you mentioned that casual claims are made every day by everyone. Because it's true, we make claims all the time without realizing the concepts we learned are implied in those claims. Good job on your post, it was a good and detail summary on cause and effect.

    ReplyDelete